Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Things in common

You know, it's kinda funny, but I sorta remembered one of the things I wanted to blog about this morning. Or maybe it was just a dream, & not really something that I wanted to blog about (cos I was still half-asleep at that time), but I figured that it's ok to write something like this anyway. I'll try to keep it short lol.

One of the things that have always intrigued me in life is how some people are able to get along so well even though they have nothing in common.

That's what I wanted to talk about today.

A good example is my parents lol My dad is a doctor, my mum is a lawyer. One is doing science, the other arts. My mum would always say that she never understood science. My dad is (basically) good at everything, so I'm not gonna mention anymore about that. The bad thing about being good at everything is that you tend to get impatient easily, & have less sympathy for the slower & (no offense) stupider people around. Not that my mum is stupid or slow, but my point is, they really do feel like polar opposites. But as they say, opposites attract. & they do have things in common, but to me, it can be counted by hand.

Actually, rather than talking about couples with nothing in common, I wanted to talk about friends with nothing in common, cos that's actually quite common too haha. Hmm more like whether friends or lovers, as long as their personalities don't really clash, then it's fine even if they have nothing in common. But for lovers it's always harder, esp when you get married & live with them for the rest of your life, 24/7. But that just makes me think of family. & you're born in a family. You don't choose your family, unlike a spouse. So it's not uncommon to have clashing personalities or nothing in common between your family members. But we still live together (most of us, there are some who can't stand it & get out of the house asap tho). & even though I fight with my family members, I'm used to them, & obviously I love them, so why can't I love other people even though we're not family? Am I making sense here lol I got sidetracked again ^^;

Ok, so friends with nothing in common. I don't have many friends (sad rite), but my few friends are close friends, & I'm quite content with that, since I'm not particularly interested in what my friends call the "hi-bye" friends. So since I was young, most of my friends didn't have much in common with me, except for those kinda things like school & class, which is why we were able to spend that time together to get to know each other & develop our friendship. But once we changed class, school, that friendship sorta got distant. Which is normal, even if it's a bit sad. & it doesn't mean that we would've maintained our relationship even if we had lots in common because it'd be hard to keep in touch.

I guess I juz wanted people to think about this, although if you'd rather not, then don't, I can already imagine my father saying something like, "Why are you thinking about these kinda things? Nothing else better to do?" lol it really does seem like that, but of course I've got better things to do, this is juz another "food for thought" kinda topic, to me. And actually, what I REALLY wanted to say is, I never expected anyone to have much in common with me. But when you really meet someone who has a lot in common with you, it's a very wonderful feeling.

Which is why it seems easier to make friends online. & I do have a few friends online (very few), & obviously it's because of something we have in common. Mainly our interests XD So that's another nice feeling too, looking for someone who shares the same interests. But I don't do that anymore, cos I got tired of trying to make friends just for that purpose. But of course, I don't turn anyone away, I juz don't make the effort for the first move.

Anyway, that's about it. If not, I'd go on & on & on. & I still didn't really say what I wanted (I did, but was that really what I wanted to say? ^^;) As in, I really do feel happy with my close friend, but before that, I was happy too, even if my friend didn't share anything in common with me. I guess it's the feeling of company that I love, which most people love. Love XD <3 alright, I think I may be sounding a bit loony, so I'll go now ;-)

No comments: