Thursday, June 25, 2009

Coraline

I watched Coraline already XD




as you can see from the pic, it's actually a book by Neil Gaiman, but it's been made into a cartoon.

I don't normally watch new shows. As in, normally I see new shows at least 6 months after they've been released, but there were some that I watched that were relatively new. A few I've blogged about, but most of the time I don't bother, cos I do see a lot of movies, or at least, that's how it feels to me ^^;

But I really liked Coraline. & I'm having hols now, so I have time. & I'm also practicing not to write so long lol short & sweet is what I'm trying to accomplish ;-) Coraline feels like a typical story to me, but maybe I've read too many of these kinda stories lol

I like reading books (for the benefit of those who don't know that). It's just that I'm lazy, & I prefer comics over books, although 4 years ago I'd have chosen a book any day over comics. But the thing about seeing a movie/cartoon based on a book is that it makes you feel like reading the book. Only if you like the show, of course, or maybe it's just people like me, who are inclined to having an obsessive personality. Therefore, if we like something, we try to find out more about it, & it's easier if you know it's based on a book cos you can compare the details between the show & the book.

So I've always respected Neil Gaiman, even though I've never actually taken the time to read his books, but I know which books he wrote, & I'd read them if I could (the thing is, nowadays I've become more narrow-minded, & I only want to read certain kinds of books *coughpurelovestoriescough*), but I'm satisfied just listening to the storyline of his books because they're really interesting.

I hate spoilers, so I'd hate to give spoilers also, so although I really, really want to talk about Coraline, I'm not going to talk as much as I want to, but I figured, telling part of the summary of the story (at least, what I've seen from the cartoon, since I didn't read the book) wouldn't hurt. But for those who don't even want to know what Coraline is about shouldn't read it. You have been warned.

Basically, it's about this girl called Coraline (not Caroline, Coraline). & she has just moved with her parents to a new neighbourhood, although the house seems to be at least 150 years old & belonged to her grandmother, I think. So, as expected, she's not exactly happy. & being a kid (I'm not sure how old, & at times like these, age does matter in a show), she's easily bored. Her parents work at home, so of course they get tense & stressed up & have no time to entertain their own child (she has no siblings). So she explores around the house, meets her old & eccentric neighbours, & is irritated by a boy from the neighbourhood. So what else is new?

As it is in stories about old houses, it's a bit different, & what happened was, there was this door that was bricked up, but at night she woke up, disturbed by mice, & she followed the mice, & they went past the door, & surprisingly, it wasn't bricked up! So like any inquisitive child, she went inside, & followed the path, & she wound up in... exactly the same place as where she came from O_o;

& it was the exact same house, except that one portrait in the house was a little bit different (minor detail, something different about his eyes), so she didn't really bother. & she heard her mom's voice, calling her name, so she headed to that direction, & her mother's back was faced towards her, & when her mother turned around, it was obvious that she was her mother, if she didn't have buttons for eyes! That was a bit weird hahahaha gave Coraline a shock too, & she asked who she was, & the person replied that she was the other mother, & the other mother asked Caroline to call her other father for dinner.

To cut a long story short (not that long actually, it's just me being long-winded ^^;), she had dinner with them (probably couldn't resist the smell & taste of it, since she was hungry, & her real parent's cooking was very unsatisfactory), & after dinner, she fell asleep (with her other mother tucking her into bed), & when she woke up, she was back in her own room, not the other room which she slept in (the bedroom was different).

& there was proof that it wasn't a dream, but I won't go into detail. The thing is, although she did feel a bit uneasy on the first night, because her parents wouldn't believe her (obviously), she wanted (& managed) to go back to the other house the following night. & she was treated very well by her other parents, which made her compare her other parents which her real parents (naturally).

So what I was thinking was, I wonder who (because I could see it coming) would choose to live with their other parents? If it was a dream, at least she'd have really good, happy dreams every night, but if it was real, then it'd either be a dream come true. Or not. Because I felt cynical & suspicious about them being so nice. Maybe it's because the background music played was purposely composed to be a bit strange (not exactly what you'd call a happy tune). Or maybe it was because I felt that the other parents would have ulterior motives. Or maybe it's because I saw too many Twilight Zone episodes lol (I like Twilight Zone ^__^ & Rod Serling!! XD haha lol)

Anyway, although I didn't exactly expect this, but there was a catch in the story later on. She was given a choice to stay with her other parents, but at a price. The thing is, is the price worth it? Of course, because this is a children story, or even if not, it's those kind of story which must go a certain path, so she didn't stay with her other parents. But it just made me wonder how many people would choose the other parents (even if there is a supposedly small price to pay for it). & those thoughts kept on bugging me throughout the night.

If you're wondering why I was a bit affected by such a show, it's because I felt that I'd probably choose my other parents (& pay the price for it). & if it wasn't such a typical story, it wouldn't be so bad staying with my other parents either, just that you have to get used to them because I'm very sure they won't be perfect (or like they were when you first met them).

But I think I'll stop here, cos I wrote too much as usual, & this time I didn't manage to keep it short, but that's because it's hard to talk about the issue itself (the other parents thing) without mentioning the story. Anyway, I'd be happy if you thought a bit about this too ;-) But maybe in real life, people would either choose their real parents or their other parents, 50% each. But I doubt that, which is why I'm still wondering whether more people would choose the former or the latter.

PS: oh, & I'm someone who likes listening to OSTs, so I already downloaded this OST XD very nice, reminded me of Nightmare Before Christmas OST & also Alice (the game) OST, & I wanted to share this particular very short song. It's what the other father sang to her, I found it sweet ^__^

Other Father song

it's available for download, but you don't have to, you can listen there, but it's only about 2MB anyway, not hard to download at all, but only if you like it ;-) too short for me though ;-( but still sweet ^__^

No comments: