Friday, August 29, 2008

Taste - matter of opinion

Also, I dunno how many ppl are like me in this way, but if I liked a song a lot, I’d want to share it. I’d want other ppl to listen to it, & hope that they like it too. Unfortunately, it seems that either the songs I like are really not that great, or that I’m living with the wrong ppl, because nobody seems to particularly like them the way I do. The only ppl who I can find, & I did (starting from 2006, which was 3 years after that), was online, & that’s about it. Still, it made me happy to know that many other ppl like those songs as well as me, & it was a nice feeling.

Still, I dunno why, sometimes I feel the need to share the song with someone whom I know offline, but I’ve pretty much given up at that, because nobody’s really interested to listen, & nobody shares that particular interest with me T_T

So, the reason why I’m blogging this is because I wanna say sth, but also because I decided to keep the happiness of listening to the songs by myself. As in, although I may feel that it’s selfish or sth like that, it’s not really so because other ppl that I know wouldn’t appreciate them anyway, so what for put the effort of sharing?

It’s like, my dad said sth recently, which made me realise something which I didn’t like. I forgot what I did, but it was to do with a song, & I asked him how is it, & he asked why. & I was saying, no particular reason, but he didn’t believe me, & maybe it was because of the way I asked, but he was in that mood anyway (the kinda mood that’s analysing ppl more than usual), so he was saying that there could be a few reasons, but one of them is as though I want his approval. & that didn’t sound very nice. But I had this horrid feeling it was true, even though I denied it outright. It feels kinda pathetic to want his approval, after all his years, that I’d want him to say that the song is nice, or that my taste is not bad, or sth similar. So because I realised it, I must stop doing that kinda thing ^^;

Another thing that happened recently, which is actually the main point of this blog, because it’s the reason I wanted to blog this, is because there was someone close to me that always listened to my songs. You see, I asked her, whether she’d be ok listening to my songs, & she said she won’t mind, as long as they’re not noisy (because the kinda songs I like listening to are quite noisy, but not all of them).

So I’d let her listen to them, & most of the time she wouldn’t say anything about them, but sometimes she’d comment that they’re quite nice, or not bad, & that made me very happy. & I’d try to let her listen to those songs that I liked that may be similar to the ones she commented, if she liked the same style.

But she hurt my feelings recently, & it’s been a long time since I’ve been hurt so badly that I feel I’m still recovering, but at least I’m half glad that happened, because she was saying how she felt, & I’m glad she told me the truth even though she hid it for so long, & I was determined to never make her listen to my songs ever again, although that didn’t actually happen because it’s hard to break habits, but it is sort of being broken, because she hasn’t listened to my songs much after that, just once or twice. & when I think of letting her hear my songs, I can’t help remembering what she said.

Anyway, what happened was, I was letting her listen to some songs, & I was like, “Not bad, rite?” in a very happy way. & she said not bad, much better than some songs I let her hear last time which were really horrible. & when she said that, I wasn’t too happy, but I wanted to know which songs they were (& I was trying to guess), but obviously she didn’t remember cos she doesn’t pay that much attention to my songs anway, but she said that they were really horrible & tuneless, & also all noise sometimes (which may be true, but not in my opinion), & she said that at those times, or last time, she couldn’t help feeling that my dad was right, & that I really don’t have any taste in music (yes, he really said that to me).

So I couldn’t help feeling, why didn’t she tell me at that time when I was playing the songs that they were horrible, or that she didn’t like them? If she said that, I would’ve stopped playing it, & changed songs, & it’s not like it’d hurt my feelings. & now only she says all this, when she’s been listening to my songs all this while. If she said it earlier, I wouldn’t have bothered her with my lousy songs anymore. What really hurt my feelings is that she said I have no taste. That made me very angry also at the same time. I mean, think of someone saying to you, “You have no taste.” It’s like saying that you have no taste in clothes, or something like that. Guys may not make a big deal of that, but it’s just an example, the matter of taste can be applied to a lotta other things. I can’t help thinking of the “no taste in guys/girls” just because you say you like someone, but it may still not apply to some ppl ^^;

Anyway, I hope you get my point. Taste is a matter of opinion. So I’ll keep my opinion to myself about my songs (I always have anyway, just not to her, so at least now I know). & I hope you know that some things said can hurt ppl a lot, without you realising it, but you should know that, because that’s normal. The only problem is knowing what would hurt other ppl’s feelings, because this may not have hurt other ppl, but it hurt me.

Also, some things I said in the beginning of the post may not have seemed relevant to you, but it was relevant enough to me, & this may sound weird, but I feel that every sentence I said, has a meaning, in a way. That’d show what kind of a person I am, or sth like that. & if you didn’t really see any meaning to it, it’s ok, it doesn’t really matter, so you don’t have to crack your head finding a meaning for each sentence. But maybe I’ve been trying to analyse ppl too much, but the reason why ppl say or do things normally have a meaning. If they don’t know why they said or do that, then that means they either don’t know themselves very well, or there really isn’t a meaning for some things, & they can just pass you by. But maybe I’m just oversensitive, but it’s not like I really ask someone after every single sentence what they really meant by that (which is what my dad did to me sometimes, & it’s quite irritating trying to give him a reason, & him arguing about it).

I’d like to give an example for that, but none come to my mind atm, & I’d like to give a good example that isn’t negative & mean, so if I remember a good one, I’ll blog about it next time, since this can be quite an interesting topic.

Anyway, I wrote quite long this time, but it’s ok, since my exams ended & I should have the time after the exam to relax & write something, but I’m sorry that this is not a happy post, but that’s life, & I want to write a not happy post once in a long while, just to show that I’m human, & that I’m obviously not happy all the time, but it’s funny that I’m writing this, since it happened over a month ago, but it’s just that I decided to write this, so that’s why I didn’t forget about it. But I realised that writing this kinda post is not good, especially when you weren’t in the mood to write it, because it’d affect your mood after that ^^;


& altho my topic is about matter of taste, I was thinking that I was only thinking about music, & even then, there were a lotta things to say... but the only other topic I could think about was taste in guys, & I don't wanna go into that lol ;-P


also, I'll be going to Singapore! XD for 3 days, coming back on monday~ it's been so long since I've been to singapore, last time was probably when I was a baby... ^^; so, am a bit excited hahaha ;-)

4 comments:

karyn531 said...

Haih T__________T

Did I seriously said you have to taste? I'm such a terrible person la! I hate myself. *hits cheeks with both hands*

Okay I'm going to explain everything from my point of view below. But first let me clarify something. I think it's a misunderstanding. That what you thought is the truth isn't actually the truth. I wouldn't attempt to deny anything that is true, and since this post is about the truth anyway, I'll say the truth:

#1 - I don't think you have no taste,

#2 - I never lied or give false opinions on songs you asked me to listen to (when I said they're good/ok/not bad),

#3 - I never actually thought they are horrible.

Which brings me to another issue,

#4 - So you must be wondering why I said what I said.

I'm sorry for being thoughtless, it's true I didn't stop to think if my words could, or would hurt.

Okay.

#1 - The reason why I do not think you have no taste, is because in my mind I don't think there's any such thing as "no taste". It's just different taste, and that would be what I'd've say when I meant my words. So yeah, I was being harsh, unthoughtful, cruel, and basically a moron like I sometimes am.

Speaking of meaning my words, which is obviously relevant to this issue, I'm wondering, in a curious way, about how much of my personality do you actually know. You impress me sometimes by mentioning things about myself that I never gave much thought about that are absolutely true. A recent example would be how I don't have appetite to eat on exam days. Not until the exam is over anyway. Then you should also know that, different people have different degrees of how much they mean their words. For example, some people lie when it suits them, some people speaks the truth because it's their principal to do so and some people just don't think much about what they are saying at all.

I belong to the 3rd category. As you yourself said, I am a blunt person, and I usually say one of the first few things that come into my head. But that does not mean that those thoughts reflect my true feelings.

I'll give an example. Like if someone ask me, do i like vanilla ice-cream. The q would trigger a few thoughts:

1) cookies & cream!!! XD
2) no i don't like it
3) it's so plain la
4) etc etc.

The most relevant answer would be number 2, no i don't like it. ("Okay" would be an answer I'd give when I'm lazy to think XD or trying not to offend. But usually the former. For the latter to apply, the thought that I might offend the questioner would have to be amongst the first few thoughts) And the former would be the answer I'd give in ordinary circumstances. Number 3 is for the sake of complaining.

But the thing is, is number 2 true? The truth is, I'm neutral with vanilla ice-cream. I prefer chocolate, but when it's not available, I could even like vanilla ice-cream, if I'm in a good mood. I don't get to eat C&C much because my mum don't like it, but that's a totally irrelevant issue.

So you get my point? I know people usually think that first thoughts are honest thoughts, but that really isn't always the case. I, who usually speaks one of the first thoughts that jump into my head, should know. ^_^

To be long-winded, one could argue that since my response isn't always the very first thought that jumped into my head, therefore it means that I think before I speak. However, firstly those thoughts jump into my head at almost the same time, so they're almost all the winners of the race anyway and secondly the amount of thinking that I do is little and limited to which answer I'm more inclined to giving and nothing much else. And thus it could be concluded that that is as good as not thinking before I speak. It's probably even the same thing.

In other words, you should never take my words seriously. If you want a serious answer, you should ask for it ^__^

#2 - THE TRUTH is that I never lied saying that any song you ever asked me to hear was good or not bad and then inwardly thinking it was horrible.
I'm quite sure of that la, cos I remember when I give false opinions, which I sometimes do, but most of it concerns clothes anyway. Like that time when I said a certain red outfit is, er, not bad. Or whatever I said about it, I know it was a false opinion, cos whenever I give it, I always get a certain kind of horrid feeling ^__^ which I hate having, but it doesn't stop me, cos it's rather much easier than saying something negative and gettting lashed out at for being mean.

#3 - I never thought the songs are horrible. I might have thought that I've heard nicer songs, or that it wasn't edited as well as it could've been, or that a particular instrument should cease, in the way you think Awesome God is better without the narrator =p

#4 - Why I said wat I said, had already been partly explained in #1. Besides, you should've known better than to take it seriously when a person who is prone to exaggeration says horrible things =p Especially when depressed. Because I don't mean them. I might as well have been saying a much less mild version of "I hope he/she chokes. On porridge." I must've been in a foul mood. But foul mood or not, that's no excuse, and you should know anyway, that I don't actually think that you have no taste. Gah I thought I told you that b4. Unless if I dreamt it. Gah. Lol.

But it's true that I was unnecessarily harsh la. I'm sorry for that. Saying that I agree with ur dad's opinion was very mean lor. Then I forgot about it summore. What a terrible person I am. No wonder la I have so few friends =(

Aiya there are more issues I want to address.

#5 - When I do not say anything when listening to songs you let me hear. It could mean one of two things.
1) It is not to my taste
2) I'm simply not thinking, because it takes too much effort on that moment ^_^;;;

Yeah sometimes I would choose not to think, so if I do not respond it might not mean I'm not interested, it could mean that I'm not giving much thought lol. But as I said, you could ask me to think if you want to know what I'd think.

Either that or I'm purposely not saying anything negative that is unnecessary la. I'm not always in a vindictive mood lol.

#6 -
Q: "Why didn’t she tell me at that time when I was playing the songs that they were horrible, or that she didn’t like them?"

A: Because they weren't horrible. I would really hate a song to call it horrible. Well, unless if I'm exaggerating. Without thinking. And I didn't tell you I didn't like them because I didn't didn't like them. I could bear hearing them. And there wasn't any necessity to complain.

And if I hadn't been in that depressed state, with a combination of sitting in the same car with 56, and and goodness knows that other things I was fretting about that day, I don't think I'd have complained lor. So you could say that you were the victim of my, er, ran out of words to use edi. Angst, probably. Pent-up frustration. Or whatever.

Because I think I remember, was it that time in the foyer when you asked me to listen to an instrumental? When we were waiting for your cousin's car with another friend? "The truth" O____O that you thought I "hid so long" isn't actually the truth la wth. You want to know the truth? Fine, I'll tell you the truth, the truth was that I was thinking about 24 at that time lol. When I think about 24, I get depressed. And I always think about 24 anyway, so it means I'm always depressed hahaha. Anyway, the foyer is one of those places that depresses me, because it reminds me of that time I saw 24, on that bench, and white pants. I love white pants. Wth. WTH.

(What am I saying?!)

Anyway, if you don't mind me digressing for a while (since I'm in the topic anyway), the foyer is one place. LT8 is another. I can think of other places outside sunway, but it'd be boring if I start listing them down. I hope you aren't surprised, because I don't know if you know how obsessed (for lack of better word) I am of 24, because I think it's pathetic if anyone knows how often, or how much, I think of 24. It makes me feel that I'm pathetic too. And the truth is also that not a day has passed since Cupid strucked my heart with his bow that I'd not thought of the poor boy whose name was on the arrow. Yes, I know I'm pathetic, thank you very much.

Okay la that's enough of digression.

Anyway, whenever I hurt your feelings, just give me a kick (not physically la) and tell me to think before I speak. Or whatever hurtful thing you might have in mind. Though you don't usually say hurtful things. You're much better at caring for other people's feelings than I am ^___^

Oh, and last but not least, I do know that there are there are things said that could hurt people a lot, without the proprietor realising it. And I know I'm precisely the kind of person who would do that kinda thing. I'm trying to minimise it, that's why I asked you to always tell me if I inadvertly hurted your feelings. Cos like I said, I want to know. So that I could do something about it. And maybe try not to make the same kinda mistake again. So, thanks for letting me know =)

minasete said...

Lol don’t worry, it’s not you that said it ;-P I didn’t think you would think it’s you, sorry… ^^;

Whatever you said, it’s not so bad, still ok, & you’re still normal la, most ppl would never say I have no taste rite…

#1: yeah, I know you’d think that way, because I think that way too, everyone has different taste anyway… & I wouldn’t dare say I know your personality well, because I just know certain things about you, & it’s like, they’re floating around in my head, & I only remember them when I’m reminded of it… but your eg was funny lol I knew u’re neutral with it! XP anyway, I’m like that too, since I sometimes say “yeah” without realising it, so we’re even ;-P

Really sorry that I made you feel guilty tho ^^; & you forgot about it cos it didn’t happen! Hahahahahaha XP & I feel a bit bad that you’re getting all over-sensitive now about what happened, because I’m not upset with you or anything, & I don’t have any conflict with you, so don’t worry ;-) if you don’t have any friends, it’s cos you’re selective lol ;-P

White pants HAHAHAHAHAHA lol sorry it’s juz so random it’s funny ^^ ok, u think about 24, & I’ll think abt 739 then hahahahahaha ;-P & I’m happy that I know how obsessed u are abt 24, since I’m super obsessed abt other stuff like yaoi anyway, it’s funny wat actually occupies our thoughts most of the time ;-)

Anyway, I’m glad you don’t mind me telling you if you hurt me or anything, cos I’ve never really met other ppl like that, usually they just avoid the topics T_T but at least you didn’t really hurt me in any way, except that one time, which I told you edi, & since I don’t rmb anymore, then it means it’s not impt…

I hope you’ll tell me also la, cos although u say I’m better at caring, I don’t think much about what I say either, & I may be worse because I really normally don’t think much before I talk, except when I’m intentionally hiding the truth lol

Hope you don’t feel like an idiot for writing so much for nth, cos it’s not for nth, & I could feel your sincere, honest feelings ;-D

karyn531 said...

IF IT"S NOT ME THEN WHO THE HELL SAID THAT!!!!!

I have a guess, but I think I'd rather guess with you face-to-face then writing it down here.

But really, I thought it was me cos i rmb-ed saying something like that during that time, you know, waiting at the foyer, listening to the instrumental, feeling pissed off with the world and almost everything in it. And the instrumental wasn't exactly helping lol. But then when I'm in that state hardly anything helps anyway. Unless if someone surprise me with something I never knew and get it all distracted la.

I was hoping I didn't appear as over-sensitive ^__^ but apparently I did. Haih just that when the words started flowing they wouldn't stop. Oh crab meat I hate crab meat. Crab meat, I hate you!

"You" refers to crab meat. Not you ya.

karyn531 said...

Oh and I was hoping you'd understand it when I subtly referred to a certain red outfit XD. It's not yours, it's not mine, it's somebody else's, and that somebody is a person whom we're always talking crab meat about ^_^

White pants are sexier than black pants! Or blue jeans. IMHO. Hmph.